Thursday, December 4, 2008

Giving Thanks

I suppose Thanksgiving has put me in a thoughtful mood, or perhaps it's the fact that I'm trying to figure out what to buy for my already terribly spoiled children, but I've been pondering gratitude. I have much to be grateful for in my life. Many of the things I'm grateful for would be on other people's lists as well--but I have a few extras.

1. I am thankful that I can run. And walk. And see. And play with my kids. You see, a little more than 5 years ago, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor. It was putting pressure on my optic nerve, causing loss of peripheral vision. Because of the placement, I had a craniotomy. Because my neurosurgeon couldn't remove the tumor without risking damage to my optic nerve and other surrounding things, I had 5 weeks of radiation about 2 months after the surgery. And now, 5 years later, I can still see, walk, play with my kids, and I run on a regular basis, which is something I had never done.

2. I am thankful for Sophie's food allergies. The things that are hardest for us are often also the things that make us grow the most. Because of Sophie's food allergies, I have developed skills that I never would have otherwise--such as creating recipes. I have also accomplished things I never would have thought of before--such as publishing Sophie Safe Cooking.

I am also grateful for the usual suspects: my family, my home, God, my husband's job, etc. But I find that I am the most grateful for the things that have been the hardest.

1 comment:

Ana said...

Emily,

I couldn't agree more with giving thanks for allergies. My daughter who is 3 1/2, has multiple allergies and your cookbook has been a LIFESAVER! (In fact, her preschool class is enjoying a "maggie-friendly" celebration with your frosting on cupcakes today.)

Whenever I get really stressed about having to plan to go out to eat (an activity which used to be spontaneous), or having to pack 5 bags of groceries to take with us when we visit relatives, I stop and realize that while her allergies present health risks, she is still a healthy, growing, robust 3 year old. Things certainly could be worse and I, too, have grown in my ability to think creatively. And in an effort to make meals Maggie-friendly, we might end up eating a little bit healthier (gasp!).

It's reassuring to hear from people who are dealing with the same issues and stresses...and successfully getting through it! Thanks for the cookbook, and for posting new ideas on your blog. It's great! - Allison